Graham has been a co-parent for 14 years and lives in Ireland with his new partner.
- How long have you been a frolo?
I’ve been a single father and co-parent for fourteen years and I’ve been part of the Frolo community for just over six months – but I only really started to get actively involved when lockdown hit.
- Tell us a bit about your frolo family.
I have an 11-year-old daughter and a 14-year-old son who both live in different parts of Ireland with their mothers. I had two relationships in the last 14 years and had a child in each relationship. Sadly, both relationships broke down.
- How do you manage a work-life balance as a single parent?
It has been difficult, as I can only see my children at the weekend but weekends are also my busiest time for work. So I have had to sacrifice work to see my children.
Money comes and goes but children are for life and I would not change a single thing. My kids are my world and I would do anything for them.
- What do you like to do when you have time away from your kids?
Cycling, walking and work mostly.
- What do you like about the Frolo community?
I like how there is someone for everyone; someone to help them through what ever situation they are dealing with.
- Describe parenthood in three words.
Rewarding, unconditional, and tough.
- What advice would you give your younger self?
Be more careful when choosing the things and the people in your life.
- Best parenting advice you’ve ever received?
That someday your kids will have their own voice and mind to choose what’s right for them.
- Who or what is your greatest love?
- Where is your happy place?
Anywhere with people.
- Is there a book you’d like to recommend to other frolos? A podcast?
Not really my thing – sorry !
- What is your motto/mantra for life?
I’m a big believer in the “Seven Ps”: Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.
- What is your greatest achievement?
That I have been able to be part of my children’s lives.
- Any regrets?
Not getting to have the family life I dreamed of as a kid.
- Biggest life lesson?
Learn to listen, not react.
- Last time you laughed hard?
With my current partner at my 45TH birthday.
- Last time you cried?
Last week. Being in isolation on my own – with no kids, no partner, no one to hug, and no human contact – is tough.
- What song would you add to the Frolo playlist?
Elbow – One Day like This.
- What advice would you give to someone just starting out on their single parent journey?
I’d advise them to be patient and considerate; to always be aware that there are two sides to a story, and to remember that it’s ok to ask for help.
- What have you learned about yourself through being a single parent?
I’ve learned that I have a compassionate side, that it’s along road ahead, and not to be so hard on myself!
Thanks for answering our Frolo Questions Graham!
Graham co-hosts our weekly Frolo Cocktail Hour every Friday at 9pm. Head to the app to find out more.