20 Frolo Questions: Self Employed, Single Dad of Two Sons, Ian RedmondBy Alice Duddy
Ian co-parents his sons with his ex-wife. He lives in Dublin and is the primary carer for his dad who has Alzheimer’s.
- How long have you been a frolo?
I became a single parent nearly two years ago.
- Tell us a bit about your frolo family.
I’ve two sons. Beau will be 13 in July and Boon is 15 months younger than his brother.
- How do you manage a work-life balance as a single parent?
Myself and my ex co-parent our sons. Although, at the moment, they’re staying with her full time as I’m primary carer for my father who has Alzheimer’s.
- What do you like to do with your kids?
We love to travel. We’ve been skiing twice and taken two great road trips around California and Nevada.
- What do you like about the Frolo community?
Being able to connect with people who’ve been through the same experiences.
- Describe parenthood in three words.
One beautiful adventure.
- What advice would you give your younger self?
Do it exactly the same again!
- Best parenting advice you’ve ever received?
Behave as parents how you want your children to behave as children.
- Who or what is your greatest love?
- Where is your happy place?
Lying in bed with my sons cuddling them both.
- Is there a book you’d like to recommend to other frolos? A podcast?
How To Fall Apart by Liadan Hynes is a great podcast.
- What is your motto/mantra for life?
I am safe. I have enough. I have value.
- What is your greatest achievement?
Raising two kind and gentle young boys.
- Any regrets?
- Biggest life lesson?
Nothing is forever and relationships have to be worked on. If you don’t grow together, you grow apart.
- Last time you laughed hard?
Yesterday with my Dad. He was trying to remember a prayer that his parents used to say every day throughout his life. He gave up and, with a wry grin, said it wasn’t one of his favourites!
- Last time you cried?
Two weeks ago. A friend called me at 3am to say her brother had just died suddenly from a heart attack. He was 54 and left behind two 18-year-old twin boys in their final year at school.
- What song would you add to the Frolo playlist?
Alanis Morissette – Guardian. It’s a promise to her young son to protect him for life. I posted it on the Frolo feed!
- What advice would you give to someone just starting out on their single parent journey?
In one year’s time you will be ok – things will improve.
- What have you learned about yourself through being a single parent?
I’ve learned that I’m stronger apart than I was when I was in my marriage.
Thanks for answering our Frolo Questions Ian!
Enjoyed Ian’s story? Read about Graham’s co-parenting story here.